Skip to main content

Reflections on my response to the HPB FAQ

Was just about to catch up with my work at my computer when a cell group mate sent a very thought provoking message to the cell’s whatsapp group regarding the ongoing debate on the HPB FAQ. Interestingly, the verse of the day on the Bible App is James 3:17-18 “But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.” This got me thinking about my own response to the issue so far.

Many of us like to zoom in on the word “pure” in James 3:17 and see it as our moral duty to speak out against what we see as an encroachment on our values and way of life. I am no different. Quite sick of being dragged around by all sorts extremist modern day crusaders’ almost militant pursuit of their own (sometimes misguided) agenda, I was all ready to heed the clarion call for the silent majority to rise up and be heard. The image I often like to have in my mind during such moments would be that of Jesus overturning the tables of those who had turned the temple into a den of robbers. Since Jesus does put his foot down firmly in a rather extreme manner to correct something that is wrong, surely, that’s a model for us to follow? His wisdom in doing so is certainly pure, just like what James 3:17 described.

But the rest of the verse in James 3:17-18 emphasizes on being peace-loving and considerate. Now that got me thinking. Jesus’ response to those selling things in the temple certainly does not look very peaceful to me. So how exactly should I respond? Deeper study of the incidence of Jesus cleansing the temple revealed two things. Firstly, those whom he drove out were Jews; they were technically “believers” who were misbehaving. Secondly, he drove them out because they were occupying the space meant for Gentiles and preventing them from coming to worship God. At no time in Jesus’ ministry did he use such violent means on non-believers to get them to subscribe to his teachings. He was always “peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere” in engaging non-believers. It seems that such strong, no holds barred admonishment are only reserved for believers, almost as a form of discipline.

Being peace-loving and considerate when engaging non-believers seems to be a consistent theme in the bible. Daniel did not try to impose his beliefs on his overseers or on the King. He simply let his life be the testimony and was submissive even to the point of death, while sticking to his beliefs. Esther did not take advantage of her position as the queen to launch an aggressive lobby for her beliefs. Great men and women of God in history have done likewise. In the face of grave injustices, Martin Luther King Jr. used reason and embrace non-violence as the means to win people over to his cause. Mother Teresa did even better. Instead of staging disruptive protests and engaging in unproductive arguments, she just went straight to serve those who needed her most.


So what value do I add as an online warrior? Does my engagement sow in peace or sow discord? Does what I do prevent people from coming to worship God, much like the traders in the temple? What would Jesus be doing if He were here during this national debate?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As I marveled at the wonder of God's creation during the recent ODAC expedition to Gunung Tapis and Rainbow Waterfall, I am reminded of the hope we have in Christ. "And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind..."(Genesis 9:12-15) We were all made to have a special relationship with God and the rainbow is a sign to us about God's grace and mercy to mankind. No matter how bad the situation may seem, there is always hope if we put our faith in Him.

Thought of the Day

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. http://bible.com/111/php.3.13-14.niv What an interesting revelation from the Lord as I reflect about the past year. What is important in life really?